Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Ready or Not Here We Come

The day that we have been preparing for for so many months is finally here. And while it is a month later than I expected it to be, it's still hard to believe that tomorrow is the day.

I was feeling pretty good about everything, despite the "what if's," that we all experience when we jump out of our comfort zone. I mean really, it's kind of crazy if you think about it. We are leaving our kids our home, and our comfortable little family, to go pick up a tiny child, a stranger, that we know very little about. A child that may not be particularly happy that we whisk her away from her life. I think back to the morning in Ethiopia before we adopted Eli, we were sitting around the table eating our breakfast in a silence. I will never forget one of the adoptive mom's breaking the quiet, as she said "Does anyone else feel like they are getting ready for an arranged marriage?" Kind of sums it up.

 We remember what God says about adoption, how many verses there are on adoption and great people in the Bible who were adopted. We are reminded of 2 verses:
Religion that God our Father accepts as pur and faultless is this: To look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world." james 1:27

A Father to the Fatherless..God sets the lonely in families Psalm 68-5-6

On to some Prayer requests:

So I WAS doing ok..with my "what if's. I tell you I have enough "what if's" to make your head spin. I would list them, but, then you would really think I am crazy:) But, last night Matt came home and said he didn't feel well, and he rarely gets sick. He thought it might be his appendix!!! PANIC! That is one "what if" that had not occurred to me! What if I have to travel by myself? If I would have I prepared for that, I might be able to handle it. But, I am not prepared to go on my own, I'm just not, and I can't get mentally and otherwise prepared for that option by tomorrow morning. I had friends and prayer warriors praying overnight, and Matt seems to feel better so let's hope that it stays that way.
So please pray for our health and Adalynn's health on the trip. I was sick in Ethiopia when we got Eli, and it was miserable.

Pray for safe travels, even though we know that this is what God wants us to do,  He has paved the way and knows the outcome, that does not mean that we will be safe, healthy and happy. I love the verse:
"For I know the plans I have for you, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future." Jer 29:11  But, I know that verse has an eternal meaning, and for HIS will to be done. He does not promise that this life or this trip will be without trouble, he does not promise that we will be happy, safe and healthy. But, we ask these things anyway.

Pray for the kids back home:
Alydia is struggling the most. She is the one most excited to have a sister. But, she is a worrier. I am praying once we are gone that she will be fine. But, right now it is hard. Her stomach hurts, her head hurts she even complains that her feet hurt. Pray that she will feel safe, secure and happy while we are gone.

Landon acts like this is no big deal but, I know he is worried.

Eli- If you have asked Eli if he is excited to have a sister, I am sure that you got the response, "No, I don't want a sister, we have enough people in our house." I think he is speaking his truth, and I am not expecting him to be happy about his new sister. So pray that the transition for him will be as smooth as possible.

Pray that even with all of these concerns that we can enjoy China. That we can learn about their culture, we can appreciate the sights that we see, that we can enjoy the food, that we will make great connections with the Chinese people, that we make amazing memories. That this can be a trip of a lifetime, and that we are not just viewing everyday as one less day until we are back home. That we may savor our time in China.

Finally, a great big thank you to the Army of loved ones that it is taking to care for our children back home! Whether it is a ride to school, a play date, an overnight, or caring for the kids in our home..We are so grateful to each and everyone of you!

Can't wait to share the next part of the journey with you!
Elizabeth

2 comments:

  1. How am I just now finding this?? I love it. Thank you for sharing so genuinely from your heart, Elizabeth! That is one of my favorite things about you. I will be praying for all of you and I'm excited for you on your newest journey and adventure! (Should I ask the Lord to please not allow a repeat of the plane ride home with Eli?! hehehe)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My prayers are definitely with you all--you and Matt and Adalynn as you travel, and for your kids and family and friends here--that all will go as smoothly as God wills. "Do not be anxious about anything. Instead, in every situation, through prayer and petition with thanksgiving, tell your requests to God. And the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus." Love you! Can't wait to meet your newest family member when we get back from Zimbabwe!

    ReplyDelete